The Myths of Internet Marketing
Understanding Internet Marketing & Online Advertising Myths
The internet is incredibly popular and as such internet marketing & online advertising is becoming essential for most businesses. But there is so much advertising on the internet it can get very confusing and unfortunately much of it is just hype.
How do you know if you are doing it right or wrong? When advertising online you need to have a good understanding of internet marketing and how it works. Here are three myths of internet marketing that if you are following you could actually be doing your business damage.
Myth 1 - To succeed you must have a great website.
- It is good to have a great website but it isn’t the deciding factor on whether your business will be successful or not. More important than a good website is a good, well-defined service and a target market.
- If you don’t have a good product or service and a targeted audience then even the best website won’t make you successful. Before you begin building a website you first need to know who your target market is.
- You need to decide the best way to promote your products or services to that target market. You need to be able to let your potential customers know how your product or service will benefit them.
- When you know your target audience and the best way to market to them, then you can build your website based on these factors. In fact, all the marketing you do needs to be based on these factors. With your website you also need to focus on your content and search engine optimization.
- Many people focus more on the design of the site, when in actual fact the content and SEO is much more important. You do need to have a site that looks professional but more importantly you need good content and a clear explanation of your products and services.
Myth 2 – More traffic means more profit.
This is also another myth that doesn’t ring quite true. You can have thousands of visitors a day to your website, but if none of them are interested in what you are selling then you’re not going to make any profit. You need targeted traffic so that the visitors your website is receiving are people that are interested in what you are selling.
It is better to have 100 buying customers than 1000 non-buying customers. Your website needs to be very clear about what you are selling and how it will benefit the customer. You want to make it so those customers can’t resist buying your product or service. First and foremost though, your advertising and your website both want to attract customers that are interested in your niche.
Myth 3 – Do whatever it takes to build a huge list.
Having a list of your customer’s emails and details can increase the profits that you make. So why then is this just a myth? Similar to myth 2 where the quality of visitors is more important than the quantity, the same goes when building your subscriber list, the quality of subscribers is much more important than the quantity.
When you obtain customers names by giving away some freebies, this is a great way to build a list but often you are building a list of people seeking freebies and not people wanting to buy. You want a subscriber list of potential customers, people who are really interested in your products or services.
You want to ask your site visitors to join your mailing list in return for receiving a weekly newsletter or a helpful report. The names you capture using this method will be much better quality than giving away a bunch of cheap, freebies.
So when you advertise online your internet marketing & online advertising must have the same quality and professionalism as your business.
P.S. If you like this post, please share it on twitter – click the Like button – write a blog post about it, and in the comments, let us have your positive thoughts below for us to see..
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!